Spark, gas fumes caused explosion at recycling plant | News
The scene of an explosion that caused a multi-car fire at a Newberry recycling plant has been cleared and a cause has been identified.
The explosion occurred at PMR Recycling located on Wheeland School Road in Prosperity.
According to the Newberry County Sheriff's Office, a worker at the plant was moving a recycled car when the machine created a spark and igniting gas fumes coming from a puncture in the gas tank.
The resulting explosion set three adjacent cars on fire.
Three fire stations and the hazmat team responded to the scene.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Boil water advisory issued for the Town of Ridgeway
- Legendary Speakers to Present at Fairfield County Historical Society Annual Meeting
- The Lumber River Quartet To Sing At Lake Wateree Baptist Church On April 28
- Cop who shot wife while on duty sentenced to 17 years in prison
- Deputies: Son being questioned in double homicide